Kilmallock


GPS Coordinates: 52.3985, -8.5717 | View On Google Maps ⇨

The first reference to the town’s defences dates to the 1280’s and only mentions a communal fosse. Kilmallock’s medieval town walls are first mentioned in a murage grant from 1308, which refers to the enclosing and strengthening of the town to protect its inhabitants. The walls were built by the Anglo-Normans in stone, they enclosed 13 hectares and were 1,700m in perimeter. The continuous stretches of wall also contained a narrow wall walk. To this day 1100m of the wall survives today, though this is mainly 14th and 15th century improvements.