Kilkenny


GPS Coordinates: 52.6505, -7.2500 | View On Google Maps ⇨

The earliest evidence for the construction of Kilkenny’s stone walls came from a murage grant in the early 1200’s. The town walls contained six main gates into Kilkenny: Watergate, Walkins gate, St. Johns/Bridge gate, St. Patricks gate, St. James gate and Castle gate. The walls had 5-6 towers which were round in shape, including Talbot tower which was built in 1270. There is also some evidence for the existence of ramparts which reinforced the medieval walls. The construction of the c. 2925m long stone walls was the largest civic project in Kilkenny at that time.