Galway


GPS Coordinates: 53.2706, -9.0567 | View On Google Maps ⇨

Galway's walls were originally built by Walter de Burgo in 1270, using money he gained from a mural charter. The town’s new main defence was a battlemented curtain wall, 1325m in length. The walls had five gates: 3 main gates and 2 quay gates which granted controlled access into the town. There were at least 5 towers built into Galway’s walls which were connected by a narrow wall walk. The walled city of Galway encloses almost 11 hectares of land, which makes it considerably smaller than many comparable Irish walled settlements.