GPS Coordinates: 54.7259, -5.8098 | View On Google Maps ⇨

Between 1180 and 1204 the Anglo-Norman knight called John de Courcy built a castle on the rock that was known as 'Carrick Fergus' or Fergus’s rock. The town of Carrickfergus developed by de Courcy and his successors expanded to the north of the castle. From the 13th century, the town and its inhabitants were partially protected by an earthen bank, wooden palisade and ditch.