Athenry


GPS Coordinates: 53.3000, -8.7444 | View On Google Maps ⇨

Athenry is one of the best preserved medieval towns in Ireland. The castle and surrounding town were built c.1235, by an Anglo-Norman lord named Meiler de Bermingham. Meiler encouraged the construction of houses, a market place, parish church and hospital in Athenry. The prosperous town soon attracted the attention of the native Irish, causing Athenry to be attacked by the O’Connors in 1249. The residents defeated the O’Connor’s, but demanded better town defences. So a murage grant was given to Athenry in 1310 for the construction of stone walls.