The feast day of Ceallóg (Mocheallóg), the 7th century saint whose name is preserved by the town, is 26th March.
The circuit of the town walls is 1700m.
The first reference to a castle in Kilmallock is dated to 1206.
Right up to the present day the line of the town wall has only been breached in two places.
Kilmallock has one of the few functioning medieval town gates in Ireland.
When Kilmallock was burned in 1571 it took three days and three nights for the looters to carry away the goods and wealth.
In the 17th century there were at least 22 stone houses and four castles fronting onto present day Sarsfield Street, then known as High Street.
The White Knight was a title belonging to the Fitzgibbon branch of the Fitzgeralds which was closely associated with Kilmallock. This honour was one of three hereditary medieval knighthoods in Ireland. The title White Knight became extinct in the 17th century.
Aindrais MacCraith (An Mangaire Súgach) one of the Maigue Poets, a famous group of 18th Gaelic poets, was born just outside Kilmallock in 1708 and died in the town in 1795. He is buried in the graveyard.
John Mulvany’s painting ‘A view of Kilmallock’, 1827, hangs in the National Gallery of Ireland.
The area around the town was the location of one of the most important battles fought between pro and anti treaty forces during the Irish Civil War.