Before 1600 the town did not exist. It is the result of the confiscation of Gaelic lands after the failed Desmond Rebellion in 1588. The town itself was not established until 1604 when English planters arrived to create an urban hub for the new colonial lands.
Established in 1825, Allman’s Distillery once produced over 600,000 gallons of whiskey annually. The advent of prohibition in the United States caused a collapse in demand and was the main reason for its closure.
Christchurch is one of the oldest churches specifically built for Protestant worship in Ireland.
In 1646, Bandon was given permission to establish a mint and strike its own coins.
The Italian nationalist Garibaldi was an honorary member of the Bandon Masonic Lodge.
Although few traces remain, Bandon’s early 17th century town walls were described by the Earl of Cork as being stronger, thicker and higher than the walls of Derry.
The town once contained fifteen tanneries. The use of urine in the production of the leather would have meant the stench around the town was awful!
Bandon holds the world record for the most leprechauns gathered in one place (1263 in total).
In Bandon’s Munster Arms Hotel on 22nd August 1922 Michael Collins had his last meal before being assassinated at Béal na Bláth.
The church bell of St. Patrick’s Church was donated by brewer James P. Murphy of Murphy’s Stout fame.
The interior of the Methodist Church has remained almost totally unchanged since the building’s construction in 1821.
The Palme d’Or winning 2006 movie ‘The Wind that Shakes the Barley’ was filmed on location at North Main Street and the Courthouse.